Ex-Iloilo Mayor Mabilog gets another dismissal order

Adrian Ayalin, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 03 2018 03:24 PM

MANILA - The Office of the Ombudsman has issued another dismissal order against dismissed Iloilo City Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog, this time on the administrative case he is facing over a towing services contract.

Mabilog, who was also dismissed by the Ombudsman October last year for an administrative case involving his supposedly unexplained wealth, was found guilty of grave misconduct, serious dishonesty and conduct prejudicial to the best interest of the service for the memorandum of agreement entered into by the city council with 3L Towing Services, which Mabilog allegedly owns.

The Ombudsman said complainant Plaridel Nava II accused Mabilog of using him for “underground transactions” involving private business groups and personalities.

Nava said Mabilog instructed him to look for a dummy owner of the towing company and he handed him P500,000 as capital contribution to the business.

The Ombudsman's decision stated that “it is undisputed that respondent entered into a MOA, on behalf of the city government with 3L for the implementation of the city’s clamping ordinance without compliance with any procurement process required under the relevant law for the selection of 3L.”

The Office of the Ombudsman said that since Mabilog was already dismissed last year, his second dismissal is converted to a fine equivalent to his one year salary as mayor.

The dismissal order also comes with the usual accessory penalties such as perpetual disqualification from holding public office, cancellation of eligibility, forfeiture of retirement benefits and being barred from taking the civil service examinations.

Mabilog however said that he has ordered the suspension of the towing services MOA, which should have excused him from adminsitrative liability.

The Ombudsman however did not give credence to Mabilog’s contention.

“The obvious purpose of such withdrawal was to cancel the MOA in an attempt to avoid further scrutiny considering that complainant Manuel Mejorada had already filed the complaint-affidavit almost a month prior to Garcia’s letter of withdrawal,” the decision Ombudsman said.

Also because of the towing services MOA, Mabilog was indicted September last year by the Office of the Ombudsman of one count of graft, as well as Nava.

Mabilog was tagged by President Duterte last year as one of those included in his list of narco-politicians such as Albuera Leyte Mayor Rolando Espinosa and Ozamiz City Reynaldo Parohinog, both of whom were killed during police anti-drug operations.

Mabilog has yet to surface after he reportedly left the country when his first dismissal order was released.