MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte is poised to boot out another official over alleged irregularities, his spokesman Harry Roque said Tuesday.
"Mayroon na naman pong isa, pero bukas ko na po iaanunsyo iyan dahil baka magalit ang mga taga-Malacañang Press Corps," he told radio DZMM.
(There will be another one, but we will announce that tomorrow because the Malacañang Press Corps might get irked.)
Roque did not identify the official or the reason for the looming dismissal. He is set to face a press conference on Wednesday.
The presidential spokesperson however earlier said that Duterte, who has vowed to fire officials "on a whiff of corruption," was looking into the controversial P6-million Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) Christmas party.
Among prominent officials who were previously axed were Interior Secretary Ismael Sueno, Dangerous Drugs Board chief Dionisio Santiago, and Presidential Commission for the Urban Poor Terry Ridon. Even the cousin of Duterte’s partner Honeylet Avanceña, PCUP Commissioner Melissa Avanceña Aradanas, was not spared.
But while some lauded Duterte’s move, his critics accused him of having a double standard when he still trusted former Customs Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon even while he was tagged in the smuggling of P6.4 billion worth of shabu in the Philippines.