MANILA - Four policemen face administrative charges and dismissal from the service for indiscriminately firing their guns in the run-up to New Year's Day, the capital's police chief said Monday.
The 4 policemen were among 13 apprehended for firing their guns inappropriately from Dec. 16, 2017 to Jan. 1, 2018, said Director Oscar Albayalde, National Capital Region Police Office chief.
The number of cases was down from the previous year, Albayalde said, without giving comparative figures.
"No mercy dito. Lahat ng na-involve [sa indiscriminate firing], they will be dismissed from service," Albayalde told reporters.
(There will be no mercy. Everyone involved in indiscriminate firing will be dismissed from service.)
Albayalde was enforcing an earlier directive by the Philippine National Police Chief, Director General Ronald dela Rosa, for troops to avoid firing their guns unnecessarily during New Year's Eve revelries.
The PNP forewent the symbolic sealing of service firearms with masking tape, as it did last year.
No police officer meanwhile was caught using illegal firecrackers, Albayalde said.
Firecracker injuries were down this year, Albayalde said, adding "piccolo" and "watusi" were behind most cases.
"In general we can say na naging masaya pero peaceful [ang pagsalubong sa Bagong Taon]. Less yung mga injuries, less yung mga incidents lalo na stray bullet," he said.
(In general, we can say that the New Year's welcome was happy and peaceful. Less injuries, less incidents of stray bullet.)