Cagayan gov jailed, rejects posting bail

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Dec 22 2014 07:46 PM | Updated as of Dec 23 2014 03:59 AM

MANILA - Cagayan Governor Alvaro Antonio was arrested on Monday for allegedly firing his gun at the convoy of his political opponent during the 2013 mid-term elections.

Antonio was brought to the police at around noon, shortly after the Christmas party at the province's capitol.

The governor was accused of shooting at the convoy of Presidential Legislative Liaison Office (PLLO) chief Manuel Mamba with an AK-47 last year during the elections.

Mamba's brother, William, was running for governor against Antonio at the time the incident happened.

Antonio refused to post the P10,000 bail for his illegal discharge of firearms case and instead let himself be jailed as a protest against Mamba's ''wrongful accusation.''

His family and friends, meanwhile, launched a fundraising campaign for the jailed governor.

Antonio refused to grant any interview and said he will only to talk to the media once he is released.

The governor earlier denied the accusations against him saying it was the group of Mamba who fired the shots.

“Hindi totoo at kasinungalingan yang pinagsasasabi ni Mamba na yan. Kasi in the first place, wala ako dun sa sinasabi nilang may nagpaputok sa lugar na yan. Pumunta lang ako after the alleged shooting incident at ang sabi ng mga testigo, sila mismo ang nagpaputok, ang grupo ni Mamba, yung convoy niya ang nagpapaputok,” he said.