DepEd eyes tent schools for 'Pablo' survivors

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Dec 13 2012 03:06 PM | Updated as of Dec 14 2012 03:30 AM

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Education (DepEd) is planning to set up tents that will serve as temporary schools for students in the typhoon-battered provinces of Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental.

DepEd Secretary Armin Luistro said as of the department's latest count, there have been at least 800 classrooms damaged by typhoon "Pablo", which slammed into Mindanao last week.

Luistro said re-building the schools will take time, as the government still has to identify safe locations for new structures.

"Ang lahat ng mga itinatayo naming paaralan sa lahat ng nasalanta, ang protocol ay ginagamit na namin ang typhoon resistant [na materyales]. Mas mahal siya ng konti pero wala kaming choice," Luistro told dzMM.

"'Yung sa bubong, malaking bagay iyon. Mayroon tayong design na talagang nakaipit na yung yero. Kasi 'pag natanggal ang isang yero, sunod-sunod na siya," he added.

The education chief said the rest of December will be used to conduct a census among teachers and students. Emotionally-unstable students will also be subjected to stress debriefing.

"Pagpasok ng Enero, tsaka na namin babalikan ang leksyon nila," he said.