UK to donate P22.2-M to Pablo victims
|United Kingdom Minister of State Hugo Swire.
MANILA, Philippines - The United Kingdom will be joining other countries in extending aid for victims of the typhoon Pablo, as Minister of State Hugo Swire said his country will be donating $500,000 or P22.2 million to the Philippines.
"It's a tremendous tragedy... [and] unfortunately this is a particularly bad one and we want to see how we can respond," Swire told ANC's Headstart on Wednesday.
Swire added the donation will be coursed through the United Nations, which earlier this week appealed to the global community for $65 million in aid to be given to typhoon Pablo victims.
Typhoon Pablo, which devastated southern Philippines last week, already killed 740, while 890 remain missing, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said on Tuesday.
Other countries that will be sending aid for the typhoon victims include the United States, Japan, China and Australia, whose donations will be coursed through different organizations.
Swire arrived in Manila on December 10 for a two-day visit to President Benigno Aquino III for discussions on boosting bilateral ties between the UK and the Philippines.