Army troops ready for CPP-NPA attacks - Palace

By Jorge Cariño, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Oct 25 2012 11:22 PM | Updated as of Oct 26 2012 07:22 AM

MANILA – Malacañang gave its assurance on Thursday that government troops are ready to defend the public in light of the Communist Party of the Philippines’ (CPP) order to the New People's Army (NPA) to step up attacks against government forces.

Reports said the CPP made the order to avenge the death of tribesmen in Davao, who were reportedly killed by Army soldiers.

However, Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda noted that the CPP-NPA had already stepped up attacks even before the reported directive.

"They have been attacking the cell sites of Globe. They have been extorting money from the farmers, even from the people they're supposed to protect. That's not surprising for us to learn about this new step up in their attacks against the government," said Lacierda.

Lacierda characterized the order as contrary to the CPP's desire and sincerity to pursue peace with the government.