6 alleged hijackers killed in Cavite

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Oct 05 2012 08:44 AM | Updated as of Oct 06 2012 12:30 AM

MANILA, Philippines – Six suspected hijackers were killed in separate police encounters in Dasmariñas, Cavite before dawn on Friday.

Police said they spotted four of the suspected hijackers – three on board a plateless maroon Mitsubishi Adventure and one driving an Isuzu van filled with sandwich spread – in Barangay San Agustin.

Policemen tried to flag down the suspicious looking men but the suspects immediately fired shots.

The four suspects were eventually killed after a chase. Police said two of the suspects, identified as Jonjie Lianco and Robert Santos, were in police uniform.

Cavite Police director Senior Superintendent John Bulalacao said he will still have to verify if the two slain suspects were indeed policemen.

However, he noted that the IDs of the two suspects seemed to be original and their guns bore the seal of the Philippine National Police (PNP).

"Kung ito ay totoong pulis, ito ay kabilang sa Manila Police [District] Station 10," said Bulalacao, referring to Santos who was a Police Officer 2.

Bulalacao also suspects that the third suspect, who has yet to be identified, was also a policeman after a gun with a PNP seal was recovered from him.

The fourth suspect, meanwhile, was identified as Jesse Gonzales Villanueva.

In a follow-up operation, the police were able to locate the warehouse of the alleged hijackers in Barangay Langkaan II. Two more suspected hijackers were killed.

Bulalacao suspects the six slain suspects belong to a single group.

Leonel dela Cruz, a truck driver who was victimized by hijackers earlier this week, positively identified the slain suspects as those who took off with his truck.

Cavite Police said there have been four incidents of hijacking in the province in the past two months where some P3 million worth of goods were stolen. – reports from Zhander Cayabyab, dzMM; and Jerome Lantin, dzMM