372 aftershocks since Friday's major quake
MANILA, Philippines - At least 372 aftershocks were recorded as of 8:00 a.m. Monday since a major earthquake struck off eastern Visayas, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said.
Phivolcs director Renato Solidum said a large number of aftershocks are expected from a major earthquake such as the one recorded last Friday, which had a magnitude of 7.6.
"They can persist for several weeks, these are normal patterns for earthquakes. Typically, it will occur in the same segment of the fault that moved. In most cases, earthquakes following a major one will be smaller," Solidum told ANC.
The major aftershocks recorded on Monday occurred off Guiuan in Eastern Samar. The magnitudes of the earthquakes ranged from 4.7 to 5.4. The strongest so far occurred at 10:14 a.m.
Transpo, power restored
Meanwhile, National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) Executive Director Benito Ramos said transportation and power supply in areas hit by the earthquake have been restored.
Ramos said the bridges in Mercedes, San Julian and Guiuan in Eastern Samar have been repaired after sustaining minor damages.
The power supplies in Eastern Samar and Southern Leyte have also been restored following an outage.
"Naibalik na rin yung kuryente sa Eastern Samar hanggang Southern Leyte. Minimal lang naman ang damage nito," Ramos told dzMM.
NDRRMC said at least 28,064 people were affected by Friday's earthquake.
The disaster management agency has likewise lowered on Sunday its alert status from a high of “red” to “blue”.