130 hospitalized in Misamis due to food poisoning


Posted at Aug 19 2014 01:08 PM | Updated as of Aug 19 2014 09:08 PM

MANILA – About 130 residents in Medina, Misamis Oriental were hospitalized after eating packed lunch during their village's foundation day on Monday.

The Misamis Oriental Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said 130 residents of Barangay San Vicente were brought to various hospitals after suffering from nausea and vomiting.

Officials said the food served to the victims was probably spoiled since these were prepared the night before the celebration.

Some of the victims admitted to consuming the food even if they already noticed that it had a bad smell.

About 1,000 food packs containing menudo, pancit bihon, and beef steak were served to the villagers.

Barangay San Vicente chairman Allan Ignalig has apologized over the incident. – reports from Rod Bolivar and Angeline Siwagan, ABS-CBN News Northern Mindanao