The public market of Digos City in Davao del Sur province was hit by a fire Sunday evening destroying many of its stalls.
The fire which reportedly started from one of the stalls of the meat and vegetable section quickly spread. Many stall owners reportedly failed to retrieve the items and produce they were supposed to sell.
84 stalls were reported to have been destroyed which was estimated to cost P1 million. This is aside from the cost of the items and produce lost in the fire which has remained to be estimated. The blaze destroyed the building where the meat and vegetable section was located.
The city’s fire protection office said “electrical overloading” was seen as the cause of the blaze.
By Monday morning, many of the stall owners hit by the fire were seen selling their items beside the torched structure to try to recover some of their lost income.
Last Friday, an estimated 115 houses were destroyed by a fire which hit Ipil beach in Barangay Duterte in Agdao district of Davao City. Faulty electrical wiring was reportedly blamed by authorities for the blaze. From a report of Francis Magbanua, ABS-CBN News Southern Mindanao