MANILA, Philippines – Six people were rushed to a hospital in Batangas after being poisoned for eating mussels allegedly affected by algal bloom (red tide), Wednesday.
The mussels were said to have been bought from the local market of Barangay Anilao, Lipa, Batangas.
One of the victims, Michael Maandal, said he did not see anything wrong with the mussels when he bought it.
“Bumili [ako] ng tahong. Pag-uwi ko, niluto namin kinabukasan, wala naman. Pagdating ko ng trabaho kahapon, biglang sumakit ang aking tiyan,” Maandal said.
Also poisoned were Maandal’s wife Carina and 5-month-old daughter Mycah.
“Yung anak ko nasubuan lang ng tahong eh pinagsakitan na ng tiyan,” said Carina.
Carina’s brothers Arvin and Gerald and father Vicente Ulumbundoc were also rushed to the hospital after eating the shellfish.
“Sumakit ang tiyan, gininaw eh bandang alas onse,” Gerald said.
The doctor of the patients, meanwhile, suspect that the mussels were affected by red tide.
"So more or less nagkaroon siya ng food poisoning sa mismong tahong,” said Dr. Ian Antonio Atienza.
The city health office is now conducting an investigation to determine the source of the said seafood. – Report from Sarita Kare, ABS-CBN News Southern Tagalog