MANILA, Philippines – Forty-one children were rushed to a hospital in Bohol after ingesting jatropha seeds on Friday.
The children, who are students of Totolan Elementary School in Dauis, experienced vomiting and severe diarrhea after eating jatropha seeds.
The seeds, which are highly toxic and dangerous for human consumption, come from jatropha shrubs used to manufacture biodiesel.
The victims have reportedly mistaken the jatropha seeds for peanuts.
The children were rushed to the Gov. Celestino Gallares Memorial Hospital after they showed symptoms of food poisoning.
Of the 41 victims, 10 were already discharged from the hospital. – With a report from Reno Tallada, ABS-CBN News Bohol