ABS-CBN News

Freeze order on MILF leader’s assets remains – CA

Posted at | Updated as of 06/04/12 2:03 AM

MANILA, Philippines - The Court of Appeals will not lift the six-month freeze order issued on the bank accounts of one of the senior leaders of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), which were used allegedly to facilitate terrorism activities.

In a three-page resolution penned by Associate Justice Mariflor Punzalan Castillo, the appellate court’s former first division junked the motion for reconsideration filed by Eduard Guerra aka Abraham Yap Alonto and his wife Jocelyn for the lifting of the freeze order issued on December 20, 2011.

"A perusal of both motions for reconsideration, however, reveals that the respective arguments therein are practically a mere rehash of those which the movants had already propounded in their respective motion to lift the freeze order and the motion for extension of the freeze order, and have been successfully and exhaustively disposed of by this Court in its resolution sought to be reconsidered," the appellate court said.

Guerra and 62 others were charged before the Saranggani Regional Trial Court on June 28, 2010 for their alleged links to the attack on the town’s police station, electric substation and a military detachment.

The incident left two civilians dead.

He was arrested that same year when he tried to leave the country to attend a conference in Geneva.

The MILF said his arrest was a big blow to the peace negotiations.