2 dead after eating puffer fish

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 26 2011 02:57 PM | Updated as of Apr 26 2011 10:57 PM

NEGROS OCCIDENTAL, Philippines – Two were killed in Hingaran, Negros Occidental after ingesting a poisonous variety of puffer fish.

The victims, identified as 7-year-old Luisa Setanos and her brother Jemar, were declared dead on arrival in a hospital in Hingaran.

Their father and two other siblings also fell ill and remain confined in a hospital.

A witness said the family rarely eats puffer fish.

Some species of puffer fish contain a neurotoxin called tetrodotoxin, which leads to death if the fish is not properly cleaned and prepared for consumption. -- Report by Mark Salanga, ABS-CBN Negros