2 kids die after eating 'butete'

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 19 2012 04:27 PM | Updated as of Apr 20 2012 12:27 AM

MANILA, Philippines – Two children were killed after eating puffer fish, locally known as “butete,” in Quezon Province Wednesday.

The fatalities were siblings Noriel and Julie Anne Roldan, 2 and 3 years old, respectively.

The victims, residents of Barangay Apad in Jomalig town, reportedly ate for lunch the fish that was cooked in coconut milk.

Nine other people were also rushed to the hospital for eating the same dish, called Kinunot.

Cherry Ragasa of the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) said the puffer fish’s liver is its most poisonous part. The fish’s toxin can affect the central nervous system, causing respiratory paralysis and death. – report from Edwin Sevidal, dzMM