MANILA, Philippines – Two fishermen in Sagay City, Negros Occidental died before dawn Wednesday after eating puffer fish, locally known as “butete.”
The fatalities were Francisco Mapalo and Romulo Celeste, residents of Barangay Old Sagay. The victims reportedly ate the poisonous fish cooked in coconut milk.
Seven other people, including pregnant Ruby Ann Aligato and three children, were rushed to Lopez District Hospital after suffering from extreme stomach pain.
Officials warned residents not to eat the fish since it has toxins that can affect the central nervous system, causing respiratory paralysis and death. – report from Yasmin Pascual-Dormido, ABS-CBN News Negros