MANILA, Philippines (2nd UPDATE) – A string of drowning incidents and road mishaps claimed the lives of at least 28 people from Holy Monday to Easter Sunday, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said on Tuesday.
The NDRRMC said 18 people perished in 16 drowning incidents around the country while 10 more died in vehicular accidents. A total of 32 fatalities was reported during Holy Week.
The agency said 9 people drowned in Ilocos Region, 2 in Quezon Provice and one each in Cavite, Batangas, Oriental Mindoro, Ifugao, Cagayan, Pampanga and Tarlac.
The drowning victims were:
- Janiesha Avril Inot Libadia, 3 (Narvacan, Ilocos Sur)
- Romulo Garcia Flores, 55 (Bauang, La Union)
- Bhejay Collado, 7 (Bangar, La Union)
- Philip Andaya, 27 (Bangar, La Union)
- Rodante Frejilana, 50 (San Fernando, La Union)
- Orlando Gaona, 54 (Bacnotan, La Union)
- Eliza Marie Selga, 12 (Alaminos, Pangasinan)
- Joshua Siriban, 9 (Aparri, Cagayan)
- Julius Cesar Cayabyab, 9 (San Vicente Tarlac)
- Carlos Garcia Waggay, 9 (San Gabriel, La Union)
- Aron Ocampo, 14 (Villasis, Pangasinan)
- Bryan de Jesus, 14 (Angeles, Pangasinan)
- Carlos Taylan, 13 (Noveleta, Cavite)
- Mark Anthony Talban, 19 (Cuenca, Batangas)
- Andy Gramo, 40 (Calapan, Oriental Mindoro)
- George Sfintes, 22 (Ifugao)
- Esplana, Daniel James 7 (Infanta, Quezon)
- Jannah Bauson Mogato, 6 (Mauban, Quezon)
NDRRMC said Sfintes, a Romanian national, drowned after diving in Tappiyah Falls in Banaue, Ifugao. Sfintes was with 8 other foreigners when the incident occurred.
Separate vehicular accidents also claimed the lives of 10 people:
- Chris Ian Gorospe, 18 (Isabela)
- Jessie Reyes, 20 (Isabela)
- Abraham Dela Cruz, 33 (San Manuel, Tarlac)
- Alexis Santos Orogo, 28 (Nueva Ecija)
- John Mark Ferreras, 21 (Samal, Bataan)
- Sammy Vasquez, 33 (Samal, Bataan)
- Conrado Mendoza Rodriguez, 54 (Mariveles, Bataan)
- Jesus Dizon Rubio, 43 (Mariveles, Bataan)
- Marcelino Cantano, 18 (San Quintin, Abra)
- Unidentified victim in Cotabato
Melucina Mahilum, 66, died after the boat she was riding capsized off Agusan del Norte. Her 2 companions, Antonette Sebian and Kris Antony Olimpus, remain missing.
The boat carrying Mahilum and 27 others, mostly resort guests, was met with strong waves in Lake Mainit last April 3. The boat's outrigger was damaged, causing it to capsize.
In Isabela, 24-year-old Lonel Castillo Jose was also reported missing. He was last seen at the river banks of Barangay Pulay in Luna town.
Also included in the death toll are a grandmother and her two grandchildren who died in a fire in San Mateo, Rizal.
Meanwhile, a total of 20 vehicular accidents left injured 21 individuals in Cotabato; 19 in Tarlac; 12 in Valenzuela City; 7 in Isabela; 5 in Bataan; 4 in Benguet; 4 in Nueva Ecija; 3 in La Union; and 2 in Abra.
A grenade explosion also occurred at around 7:45 on Good Friday in Cotabato City. No casualty was reported.