Fire guts first floor of Romblon town hall

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 02 2014 01:01 AM | Updated as of Mar 02 2014 09:01 AM

ROMBLON -- A fire gutted the first floor of the town hall of Romblon, Romblon on Saturday, destroying around P500,000 in properties, reports said

Romblon Mayor Gerard Montojo told DZMM that the fire started around 8 p.m. and was declared out by 10 p.m.

According to Montojo, affected were that of the Local Civil Registrar's Office and the Municipal Agriculture Office.

Fire officials found a burned wire near the two offices, which may have caused the fire, they said.

Documents at the Treasurer's Office, meanwhile, were destroyed after being drenched in water when firemen were trying to put out the fire.

An employee was reported injured after trying to salvage some of the town hall's properties.

Residents also helped control the blaze, as the town only had one fire truck.

-- Reports from Dennis Datu, DZMM