DAVAO CITY, Philippines – Davao City acting Mayor Rodrigo Duterte has expressed dismay over the increasing incidents of petty crimes such as robbery, ransack, and holdups in the city in the past weeks.
Duterte said the public is no longer satisfied with the performance of police authorities.
In a scale of 1 to 10, Duterte rated the performance of the current police at only 4.
In a command conference Thursday night, Duterte reminded police authorities in the city to double or triple their effort in solving crimes with innovative solutions.
Duterte ordered the police to be diligent and committed in their work especially in dealing with investigation and avoid always at ease.
"We are just reminding the police officers to do more," Duterte said, adding that police precinct commanders should also lead patrols and set a good example.
Duterte estimated 60% to 70% of the petty crimes in the city are committed by minors.
"We must come up with an ordinance that they are not freed immediately but rather we can justify their confinement," he said.
Due to these incidents, Duterte stressed that Davao City is not safe for the criminals.
"It's time really to make Davao City really really dangerous for criminals. It might get me in trouble again with the [Commission on] Human Rights," he said.
Two weeks ago, the newly installed Davao City police director Senior Superintendent Ronald Dela Rosa promised to discipline the criminals.
But crime incidents have continued alarmingly.
"So we have to innovate our ways and means on how we carry out our crime fighting strategies. ASAP sana, kung 24 hours today at kung basahin ko yung journal, zero ransack, zero holdup tayo. Then I would be very happy," Dela Rosa said.
Last Monday night, a passenger allegedly strangled a taxi driver and took away his cash. The police also nabbed four minors who ransacked a business establishment last week.
Duterte has only challenged the authorities to be always vigilant and as much as possible prevent these crime incidents.