MANILA, Philippines - The Palace expects that the National Bureau of Investigation report on the Atimonan shooting incident will be submitted to the President this week.
Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda again allayed fears of a whitewash, adding that the investigating panel wanted to come up with a "comprehensive" and "exhaustive report," hence the delay in the submission.
"The apprehensions are unfounded… The Secretary of Justice will submit the report this week to the President. That's something I can assure you. I spoke to Secretary Leila de Lima today and she informed me," Lacierda said.
"They need to come up with a comprehensive final report and that's the reason why the Secretary of Justice and the NBI want the report to be exhaustive."
Lacierda said that de Lima "gave strict instructions" against leaking the report.
"Secretary Leila de Lima gave strict instructions (to) the NBI that there should be no leakage. She’s very aware of those news reports coming out in the various broadsheets," he said.
De Lima earlier hinted at a possible filing of criminal charges against those involved in the bloody Atimonan, Quezon incident. Thirteen people on board two SUVs were killed in the alleged shootout that took place last January 6.
The justice chief said the NBI draft report on the incident has so far reached 300 pages.
"Sa report, kung may makakasuhan, ready na rin ang NBI dyan, sa pag-file ng kaso," she said.