MANILA, Philippines – Twenty-two residents of the municipality of Lagangilang in Abra exhibited symptoms of anthrax after eating carabao meat suspected to be infected with the disease.
The patients were from the barangays of Paganao, Bacoc and Cayapa.
Leila Bernal, disease surveillance officer of the Abra Provincial Hospital (APH), said a doctor told them that a patient suspected to be infected with anthrax was admitted to the hospital.
The patient reportedly showed symptoms of anthrax like difficulty in breathing and hand lesions.
The 22 residents were among the more than 200 people who joined a fiesta celebration and ate "double dead" carabao meat believed to be infected with anthrax.
Personnel from the Provincial Veterinary Office already injected antibiotics to 15 carabaos in barangay Cayapa.
Anthrax is caused by bacteria that infect animals. It can be transmitted to humans once the infected meat is consumed or once Anthrax spores are inhaled. With KC Zalavaria and Mara Floresca, ABS-CBN News