Floods kill 7 in Mindanao
MANILA – The death toll in the floods that submerged parts of Mindanao has climbed to 7, according to the latest tally of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).
The victims were identified as Glenn Custodio, 36; Boyet Borres, 19; Clyde Selgas, 19; Lord Anthony Gallarde, 1; Herbert Solidum; Danny Nuñes Mansalay; and, John Michael Unson, 21.
Custodio was electrocuted while the others drowned. Unson, who was previously reported missing, was found dead on Monday.
Three others, identified as 63-year-old Ramon Ampong, Renante Finca Mansalay, and Gary Galicia are still missing.
A total of 14,174 families, meanwhile, remain in evacuation centers.
NDRRMC said more than 15,000 persons that were affected by the floods are from New Bataan and Cateel, two of the towns worst hit by Typhoon Pablo in December 2012.
Authorities said the rain eased on Wednesday but large areas are still flooded.
Fifteen villages in Davao City and the municipality of Tubod, Surigao del Norte are under a state of calamity.
The Philippines is hit by about 20 major storms or typhoons each year that occur mainly during the rainy season between June and October, though floods frequently also occur outside the cyclone season. -- With a report from Agence France-Presse