AFP: Malik died of bullet wounds, complications

By Alexis Romero, The Philippine Star

Posted at Jan 08 2014 08:53 AM | Updated as of Jan 08 2014 04:53 PM

MANILA - The military yesterday revealed new details on the death of Habier Malik, leader of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) forces who figured in the Zamboanga City crisis last September.

Col. Jose Johriel Cenabre, chief of the 2nd Marine Brigade, said Malik died of bullet wounds and complications because he did not receive medical attention.

“He (Malik) was badly wounded,” Cenabre told reporters at Camp Aguinaldo yesterday, saying the MNLF commander died in Sulu last October.

“Medically speaking, that’s the problem because he did not undergo proper treatment,” he added.

Cenabre said Malik was last seen alive in Kalinggalang Kaluwang in Sulu.

Reports on Malik’s death surfaced on the last week of September. It was only yesterday though that a military official confirmed this.

Photos supposedly showing Malik’s corpse surfaced on the Internet days before the end of the Zamboanga City crisis but these proved to be a hoax.

Last November, Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin said Malik was “obviously” dead, noting that he had not surfaced since the end of the clashes.

The 20-day crisis started last Sept. 9 after followers of MNLF founder Nur Misuari tried to hoist their flag at the Zamboanga City hall.

The series of clashes between government forces and Misuari’s followers left more than 200 people dead.

Rebellion charges have been filed against Misuari and 83 of his followers. Misuari continues to evade government security forces.