MANILA, Philippines -- A man who helped an alleged drug addict during a shooting rampage in Kawit, Cavite Friday morning may face multiple murder charges, police said on Saturday.
Senior Supt. Dionisio Borromeo, deputy provincial director of Cavite police, told ANC there are witnesses saying suspect John Paul Lopez was indeed an accomplice of gunman Ronald Bae.
Lopez, a house caretaker, was seen helping Bae load his firearm during his shooting spree. He was arrested Friday night.
"We are evaluating all the evidences and testimonials, and we are about to file a multiple murder case against John Paul because there are some allegations that he is the accomplice of the suspect," Borromeo said.
The alleged aide of the Cavite gunman earlier denied he loaded bullets for Bae's gun voluntarily. Moreover, Lopez claimed he did not use drugs prior to the incident.
"Of course that's his alibi. But there are some witnesses who were telling [the police] he (Lopez) was the one feeding live ammo (ammunition) to the suspect. That's why we have to consider all these evidences," Borromeo said.
"He is also positive of our drug test conducted last night," he continued.
Borromeo said they have already coordinated with the fiscal's office and the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) for the filing of multiple murder case against Lopez.
"Kapag napatunayan na siya ay may pananagutan sa batas, he will be tried in court," he said.
Bae, the gunman, was shot dead by the police after he refused to surrender. By then, he had already killed 8 people and left 10 others injured.
Lopez, in an exclusive interview with radio dzMM on Friday night, said Bae threatened to kill him if he did not follow his orders.
"Natutukan po ako ng baril. Hindi na po ako makatakbo. Nakatutok na po iyung baril sa akin," Lopez has said.
Lopez also denied using drugs but admitted drinking liquor with Bae. "Uminom lang po nung gabi, pero magdroga po, hindi."