MANILA, Philippines -- Acting Cebu Governor Agnes Magpale said she is still exercising "maximum tolerance" towards suspended Governor Gwendolyn Garcia despite the latter's refusal to leave her office at the provincial capitol.
Garcia has been staying in her office for over two weeks now in an act of defiance to the six-month suspension order from Malacañang last December 19.
"From day 1, ang instruction ko po ay talagang maximum tolerance at pinapabayaan namin na nandiyan siya. Tutal I'm functioning as the acting governor from another building," she told radio dzMM.
"Ginagawa ko po habang hindi po hampered ang aking paninilbihan, I can still tolerate," she added.
The acting governor also clarified that the suggestion of cutting the water and electricity at the office of Garcia came from some Cebuanos and not from her.
"Maraming suggestion... Medyo naiinis na kasi ang mga Cebuanos kung kailan ba kasi si suspended Governor Garcia na aalis to give way naman po to the acting governor, who by rule of law, is now in place."
"So far, hindi pa naman kinakailangan. Ayaw ko nga sanang gawin 'yan... That was very popular, 'Putulin na kasi 'yung ilaw dahil it's consuming so much power and water, dahil 24 hours', e parang napaka-inhuman naman po, babae 'yan e," Magpale said.
For now, she said they are still coordinating with authorities on how to get Garcia out of her office peacefully.
They are also conducting day-to-day evaluations on the tension that may arise in the Cebu provincial capitol.
Meantime, Magpale said she is hoping the suspended governor will just voluntarily leave her office.
"Let's take it from there, from day-to-day evaluation, and we are constantly in dialogue with some agencies... I'm hoping na ma-enlighten na siya if this is the 16th or 17th day," she said. -- With dzMM