MANILA, Philippines (UPDATE) – Residents of Barangay Holy Spirit, Quezon City rushed to salvage what was left of their belongings after a fire that started Saturday morning.
Initial investigation shows that the fire started from the home of Danilo Mercado and was caused by a candle that was left unattended.
The fire quickly spread, trapping his two children, 4-year-old Danzil and 7-year-old Daniela, who were left alone.
Mercado was on duty as a barangay tanod while his pregnant wife is confined at the hospital.
Mercado was helpless as he watched his house burn down.
Many of the houses in the area were made of light materials allowing the fire to spread quickly.
A 9-year-old boy, CJ Tubo, went missing during the fire. His body was found later in the morning.
The fire burned down 50 houses, affecting 150 families and causing an estimated P1 million in damage. -- ANC