QUEZON CITY, Philippines - Two children died in a fire that hit a community in front of the Sandiganbayan in Barangay Holy Spirit, Quezon City late Friday night, initial reports said.
The victims are aged 4 and 7, respectively, according to a village official interviewed by radio dzMM.
The fire was reportedly caused by a lit candle that was left behind by the victims' father, Danilo Mercado, who went out to buy food.
Mercado was helpless as he saw their house burning when he returned.
The man said he heard his children screaming while the fire was raging.
The fire spread quickly and razed around 70 houses in the area, authorities said.
Strong winds caused the fire to spread while houses in the community are made only of light materials.
The fire reached Task Force Bravo alert level, according to firefighters who rushed to the scene.
It caused around P5 million in damage to properties. - with reports from Eric Dastas, dzMM