MANILA, Philippines - The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), through its chairman Francis Tolentino, led a meeting of different government agencies today to iron out plans and contingency measures for "Oplan Kaluluwa 2012".
The operation plan became effective today and will cover a period extending to November 5.
Tolentino also identified priority traffic points and cemeteries to be monitored in the following days.
A total of 2,378 MMDA personnel will be deployed for Oplan Kaluluwa 2012, including mobile teams, emergency workers, and other augmentation teams.
The MMDA said the government is set to deploy some 10,000 personnel from various concerned agencies on November 1 and 2.
"We are extending their duty from 10 p.m. to 12 midnight for Oplan Kaluluwa, at bawal muna mag day-off at mag absent ang aming mga tao," Tolentino said.
The MMDA chief urged local government units to implement traffic re-routing schemes ahead of the holidays to give the public time to adjust to the changes and avoid confusion.
"Tingin namin mas magi-improve ang preparation kumpara last year, kasi maaga ang coordination at may mga adjustment kaming gagawin," he said.
The MMDA also announced the suspension of the number coding scheme on October 26, November 1, and 2 all over Metro Manila.
After the meeting, Tolentino went to the Manila South Cemetery in Makati for an inspection.
The MMDA plans to conduct a massive cleanup of major cemeteries ahead of November 1 and 2, and also after the holidays.