MANILA, Philippines – An arrested carjacker has admitted to being part of the group accused of killing car dealer Venson Evangelista, the carjack-slay victim's father said on Tuesday.
Arsenio Evangelista, Venson's father, said Rolando Talban only admitted to planning the abduction with the Dominguez carjacking group but denied killing the car dealer in January 2011.
"Ang sinasabi niya, may direct participation siya sa pagdukot pero dine-deny po niya na siya 'yung talagang bumaril. Ang bumaril daw ay si Joel Jacinto. Siya lang po daw ang naglagay ng packing tape tapos 'yung isang akusado na nakakulong ngayon na si Jason Miranda po, siya po ang nagsunog at ang nag-utos daw sa kanya ay 'yung witness namin na si Alfred Mendiola," Arsenio told dzMM.
"Inamin din niya na nagtrabaho siya sa Dominguez carjacking group at handa siyang makipag-tulungan. Hindi ko lang alam kung iko-consider siya sa witness protection program"
Arsenio said out of the 8 suspects in the carjack-slay case, only Jacinto and two other women remain at large.
One of the suspects was killed in a police encounter in Meycauayan, Bulacan last year. Mendiola, who turned into a state witness, was killed last May.
Arsenio said Talban apologized to him and admitted fear of retaliation from other members of the carjacking group.
Talban had a P600,000 bounty on his head. He was also a suspect in the murder of another car dealer, Emerson Lozano; and Teresita Teano.