ABS-CBN News

DOJ probes Go's alleged Resorts World trip

Posted at | Updated as of 08/17/12 11:49 PM

MANILA, Philippines - The Department of Justice on Friday said it will investigate a tip that convicted murderer Rolito Go was seen in Resorts World Manila last week.

Justice Undersecretary Francisco Baraan III said he will investigate reports that Go had been sighted leaving the New Bilibid Prisons (NBP) several times even before he reportedly disappeared last Tuesday.

NBP Superintendent Richard Schwarzkopf earlier said he will investigate a tip that an eyewitness allegedly saw Go at Resorts World last Friday night.

"Those information and allegation we will investigate. We will not tolerate that things that happen in the past will happen again today," he told ABS-CBN.

He also said it is the first time during his term that a prisoner was allegedly kidnapped inside Bilibid. He said Go was last seen at the Ina ng Awa Church at 7 p.m. Tuesday before he disappeared.

Go, who is in prison for the road rage killing of an engineering student in 1991, was declared missing by prison officials after failing to be accounted for Tuesday night.

His relatives said Go and his nephew, Clemence Yu, were abducted inside the prison. The two later surfaced in Alabang after allegedly being kidnapped and then abandoned in Tanauan, Batangas on Wednesday.

The police are investigating Go's disappearance and if he was really kidnapped.

"We are investigating why he was released at that time of night. There is a possibility that they were kidnapped but we will first investigate," Philippine National Police chief Director General Nicanor Bartolome said.