MANILA, Philippines (2nd UPDATE) – Convicted killer Rolito Go is now in police custody after he went missing from the New Bilibid Prisons (NBP) in Muntinlupa City Tuesday night.
Philippine National Police (PNP) Director-General Nicanor Bartolome said Go and his nephew, Clemence Yu, are already in the custody of the PNP-Anti-Kidnapping Group in Camp Crame.
Go told police that he and his nephew were supposedly released by their alleged kidnappers in Tanauan, Batangas.
Go claimed he and his nephew then took a bus to Alabang, where they were picked up by police.
Bartolome said Go and Yu sustained wounds in their bodies, which could indicate that they attempted to break free from the supposed kidnappers.
In a press conference at 1:30 a.m. Thursday in Camp Crame, Bartolome said police took custody of Go and Yu at 11:15 p.m. Wednesday.
He said the PNP Anti-Kidnapping Group had been coordinating with the Go family after it was reported that he was abducted.
Bartolome said the Go family claimed that no ransom was paid to the alleged kidnappers.
Go was last seen at the Ina ng Awa Church in the minimum security compound of the NBP Tuesday night. He and his nephew were allegedly forcibly taken by 4 people.
Bartolome said the PNP will continue its investigation into the incident.
Go was given food and will undergo a medical check-up before he is turned over to the Bureau of Corrections.
Go's family said Go and Yu were abducted and that the kidnappers demanded a P1 million ransom for their safe release.
Police have yet to determine if Go was indeed kidnapped and whether ransom was paid by the family.
Go was convicted for shooting and killing Eldon Maguan, 25, during a road rage incident in 1991.
The Maguan family has belied that Go was abducted. -- reports from Anthony Taberna, ABS-CBN News; Zandro Ochona, dzMM