More suspects in San Beda hazing named

By David Dizon,

Posted at Aug 03 2012 03:38 PM | Updated as of Aug 04 2012 02:09 AM

MANILA, Philippines - The father of suspected hazing victim Marc Andre Hervias Marcos filed Friday charges of murder and violation of the Anti-Hazing Law against several people, including the owner of a farm in Cavite, for their alleged involvement in Marcos' death.

In his complaint filed before the Tarlac City Office of the Prosecutor, Mac Ferdie Marcos filed criminal charges against Gian Veluz, Angelo Veluz, Soleded Sanda, Marlyn Guadayo, Cornelio Marcelo and several John Does identified as members of Lex Leonum Fraternitas.

He said that around 40 people participated in the initiation rites at the Veluz farm, owned by Angelo Veluz, over the weekend.

"Thru investigation made by the Philippine National Police and thru our own personal efforts, we came to know that the fraternity involved is Lex Leonum Fraternitas," he said.

Andre is the second victim of fraternity initiation rites in San Beda College of Law within the year. Last February, freshman Marvin Reglos was also killed in alleged hazing rites by the Lambda Rho Beta fraternity.

In his complaint, Marcos confirmed that the younger Veluz, a third year law student of San Beda, participated in the initiation rites.

A hospital guard earlier said it was Veluz, Sanda, Guadayo and a fourth individual who brought Marcos to the hospital at 10:30 p.m. last Sunday.

The complaint said Marcelo, another San Beda law student, also knew about the initiation rites and had been texting Marcos' niece, Czareena Corpuz, prior, during and after the hazing.


In his narration, Marcos said his son, Andre, went missing from the night of July 28, 2012 until July 30, 2012 when they were finally informed of his whereabouts.

He said that last Sunday, July 29, the family tried to call Andre's cellphone but it was already turned off.

Andre's aunt, Atty. Mariemer Marcos-Rivera, then called up Globe Telecoms on Monday and got the number of the last person that Andre called. She then called the number and the man who answered the phone confirmed that he is also a student of San Beda College of Law and that he knows Andre.

The man then said he would ask around for Andre's whereabouts.

Later, an unknown individual sent a text message to Andre's aunt, introducing himself as a batchmate of Andre and asked if they could meet. The individual also told Andre's aunt that Andre was "in a stable condition" but that he wanted to meet first at 3 p.m. before identifying the hospital.

The Marcos family then met with the individual, identified as San Beda law freshman Christopher Ryan Maranan, at Kentucky Fried Chicken in Nagtahan, Manila. Another person, identified only as Ed, accompanied Maranan.

Both said they were neophytes and had undergone hazing. They also revealed that Andre was confined at the DLSU Medical Center in Dasmariñas, Cavite.

"They emphasized to us that they want cooperation from us for the sake of Andre, and at that time, we were more concerned with actually seeing Andre," the complaint said.

It said the two offered to transfer Andre "to another hospital of our choice with all expenses to be borne by their organization."

The family said they proceeded to the hospital and found Andre in the emergency room.

The attending doctor then said Andre had died at 3:15 p.m. due to acute kidney injury and cardio respiratory arrest before the family could reach the hospital.

An emergency room doctor earlier said Andre had no vital signs when brought to the hospital Sunday night. He said Andre had to be revived several times before he died on Monday. -- with a report from Jorge Cariño, ABS-CBN News