2-month-old baby hurt in Mandaluyong fire


Posted at Jul 13 2012 09:24 AM | Updated as of Jul 13 2012 05:24 PM

MANILA, Philippines – A two-month-old baby boy was injured after a fire struck their house in Barangay Addition Hills, Mandaluyong City before dawn Friday.

Vincent Collins Bagalaois sustained second degree burns on his left arm.

The fire struck at around 1:30 a.m. and was declared out at 2:24.

It reached the fifth alarm and razed at least 20 houses, mostly made of light materials, along Martinez Street.

Vincent Collins’s father, Francis, admitted he left a candle while they slept because the baby could not sleep in the dark.

He then woke up with the fire already gorging a portion of their house.

“Nakalagay lang po sa mesa ang kandila. Siguro po nahangin ng kaunti tapos nahagip ang cabinet na tela ang takip,” Francis told dzMM.

Francis said their electricity was cut off after they failed to pay their bills.

Vincent Collins remains at the Mandaluyong City Medical Center.

Meanwhile, the affected families are staying at the Mandaluyong City botanical garden. – reports from Francis Faulve, ABS-CBN News; and Dexter Ganibe, dzMM