Silver cleaner downs 2 in Pasay


Posted at May 20 2014 03:49 PM | Updated as of May 20 2014 11:49 PM

MANILA - Two women died in Pasay City after they accidentally drank silver cleaner, mistaking it for water.

The victims were identified as Joyce Garcia and Eunice Legan.

According to their housemates, Garcia woke up Saturday morning to drink water. She took a water bottle, transferred its contents to a pitcher, and drank it.

Legan also woke up and drank the contents of the same pitcher.

She then noticed that Garcia was lying unconscious on the floor, foaming at the mouth.

Their housemates added that it was Legan who told them that Garcia accidentally drank the silver cleaner.

They rushed Garcia to the hospital, but Legan also collapsed while they were on their way.

The two victims died after an hour.

Based on the investigation, the two victims drank the contents of the plastic water bottle, not knowing that it contained silver cleaner.

Bernadette Sanchez, who owns the silver cleaner, admitted that she was not able to inform all her housemates that her water bottle contained silver cleaner.

However, she added that she kept the bottle near her bed.

Authorities have yet to determine whether Sanchez can be held responsible for the incident. -- report from Maan Macapagal, ABS-CBN News