PAL employee to be charged for Ninoy killer's death

By Perseus Echeminada, The Philippine Star

Posted at May 14 2014 08:17 AM | Updated as of May 15 2014 03:41 AM

MANILA - A man who identified himself as an account executive of Philippine Airlines (PAL) was charged yesterday for the death of an Air Force master sergeant convicted of killing former senator Benigno ''Ninoy'' Aquino Jr.

Henry Roque, 29, was charged with reckless imprudence resulting in homicide and damage to property before the Parañaque police’s traffic division by Pablo Martinez’s son, Benjamin.

City police chief Senior Superintendent Ariel Andrade said they are set to file charges before the Parañaque prosecutor’s office today.

Roque reportedly tried to escape immediately after running over Martinez as the victim was cycling along Roxas Boulevard in Parañaque at around 7 a.m. on May 5, Andrade said.

Witnesses said Roque was intercepted by a security guard and turned over to the police. However, Martinez – who was still alive at the time – agreed to an amicable settlement with Roque paying his hospital expenses.

“That was the reason the driver was released from police custody,” Andrade said.

When Martinez died the next day, his relatives decided to revive the charges against Roque. Diomedes, another son of Martinez, reportedly suspected foul play.

At least three witnesses have submitted their statements to the police, according to a source.


Public Attorney’s Office chief Persida Acosta earlier said that Martinez had implicated business tycoon Eduardo “Danding” Cojuangco in his affidavit when he confessed to participating in Aquino’s assassination.

In his affidavit, Martinez claimed he was tapped by then Air Force colonel Romeo Ochoco to bring gunman Rolando Galman into the Manila International Airport. He was also the one who supposedly did the test shot on the gun used in the killing.

Martinez was the only one among the 16 soldiers convicted for the assassination to be granted “conditional pardon” by then President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, Acosta said. Three of the 16 had died in prison. Of the 13 remaining, the 12 had their jail terms commuted.