Reward raised for Caloocan officials' alleged killers

By Rey Galupo, The Philippine Star

Posted at May 13 2014 04:24 AM | Updated as of May 13 2014 12:24 PM

MANILA, Philippines - Caloocan City Mayor Oscar Malapitan offered P100,000 yesterday for information on the whereabouts of two men suspected of killing at least four barangay officials and a city government official.

The offer came after city police chief Senior Superintendent Bernard Tambaoan said they have filed charges against Mark Anthony Francisco and Rodel Elizardo, also known as “Jeklat,” in connection with the attacks on the barangay officials since March.

“We were forced to divulge this lest the people of Caloocan think that we are not doing anything. We were silently working on the cases but now we want to assure you that we are doing everything to solve (these killings),” Tambaoan told barangay officials during a meeting of the city development council.


Another high-ranking official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The STAR that the “greatest motivation” for the killings is revenge.

The source said most of the slain officials were allegedly given campaign funds but shifted allegiance days before the 2013 elections.

The source said the victims “are clearly a selected few.” At least two barangay chairmen and five barangay kagawads (councilmen) were gunned down, mostly in north Caloocan, since August last year.

The victims are: Barangay 178 chairman Felipe Alday, August 2013; Barangay 187 kagawad Luisito Banzon, March 22; Barangay 183 chairman Pedro Ramirez, March 25; Barangay 181 kagawad Garry Moralla, May 9; Barangay 44 kagawad Rogelio Escano, May 10; Barangay 174 kagawad Edward Jundayao, Sunday.

Another victim is former policeman Eduardo Balanay, deputy chief of the city government’s department of public safety and traffic management.