7 dead in QC shooting spree

By Michael Punongbayan, The Philippine Star

Posted at May 12 2014 10:34 AM | Updated as of May 12 2014 06:34 PM

MANILA - Seven people were killed in a series of separate but possibly related shootings in Quezon City yesterday.

The Quezon City Police District (QCPD) has yet to arrest the persons who went on a shooting spree, according to officials.

Information gathered from the QCPD-Criminal Investigation and Detection Unit (CIDU) said the first shooting happened at around 1:30 a.m. along Commonwealth Avenue near its intersection with Regalado Avenue.

Senior Police Officer 3 Rafael de Peralta said security guard Melvin Gutierrez was manning his post at an establishment in Barangay North Fairview when he heard successive gunshots.

When he went to check, he found the first victim, Rodelio dela Cruz, 34, of Barangay Baesa, Quezon City, lying on the pavement beside his blue Rusi motorcycle with license number 8995 XA.

Shortly after the first shooting, De Peralta said Alodia Grace Go, 37, a businesswoman from Fairmont Subdivision in Fairview, was shot dead near Bronx street.

Some 50 meters from Go, a third shooting claimed the life of Gilmer Gabronino and Angeli Augis, both 35. They were riding a motorcycle and were reportedly on their way to buy medicine at a drug store when they were attacked.

QCPD-CIDU investigators said the description of the persons who killed the first four victims – two persons on a motorcycle – were the same.

Probers also found eight shells and a deformed slug from a 9mm pistol in all three crime scenes, which appeared to have been part of a drive-by shooting spree.

De Peralta said the first four victims were shot at close range either in the head – one victim was shot in the ear, with the bullet exiting through the other ear – neck, eye or torso.

SPO1 Cris Saldariaga and PO3 Hermogenes Capili were tasked to handle the case, with Inspector Elmer Monsalbo leading follow-up operations.

At around 2:30 a.m., a fifth shooting victim – still unidentified – was found near a car dealer’s shop along Commonwealth Avenue in Fairview, but investigators said the man was killed with a .45 caliber pistol.

Shortly after noon yesterday, De Peralta said two still unidentified persons were shot dead along Commonwealth Avenue near Tandang Sora Avenue.