MANILA, Philippines - Former President Joseph Estrada finally announced on Thursday that he will team up with Manila Vice Mayor Isko Moreno for the two highest posts in the city.
Estrada went to the Commission on Elections (Comelec) today to formally transfer his voter’s registration to Manila. While there, Estrada announced Moreno will be his vice-mayor for the 2013 local elections.
Estrada yesterday moved residences to Sampaloc in Manila from San Juan City, where he was also previously mayor.
Incumbent Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim, meanwhile, shrugged off negative remarks thrown his way by Estrada.
“Wag ninyo kaming pag-awayin, ayoko ng may kaaway,” he told the media when asked about his response on the comments made by Estrada against him.
He further avoided questions and said that the people of Manila will be the ones to decide whether or not they have had done enough of him.
“Tumanda ako nang ganito nang wala akong sinasabing masama kahit kanino, sa kapwa ko,” he said.
Estrada yesterday said Manila’s growth is very disappointing compared to other cities like Makati, Quezon City, Taguig, and even San Juan.
He showed displeasure over the way Lim runs Manila, saying that it needs a complete urban renewal.
He also commented: “Buti na lang hindi ako utak-pulis. Hindi na uso ang shoot-to-kill,” a swipe at Lim, who is a former police general.
Lim responded by saying that criminals tend to get mad at policemen who implement the law and lock them in jail.
“Ang trabaho nila ay ipatupad ang batas, in their desire to protect the law-abiding and innocent from harm," he said.
Moreno, meantime, also expressed disappointment against his former ally.
Lim earlier served as a Interior Secretary during Estrada’s presidency. He left Estrada’s Pwersa ng Masang Pilipino after a rift and transferred to Aquino’s Liberal Party. – with a report from Noel Alamar, dzMM