PNP official tagged in massacre brought to Bicutan

By Janvic Mateo, The Philippine Star

Posted at May 04 2014 08:49 AM | Updated as of May 04 2014 04:49 PM

MANILA, Philippines - A former Philippine National Police official charged for the Maguindanao massacre was committed yesterday to Camp Bagong Diwa in Bicutan, Taguig City a week after his arrest in Mindanao on April 26.

Inspector Saudi Mokamad – former officer-in-charge of the 1507th Provincial Police Mobile Group – was brought to the Quezon City court handling the multiple murder case from Maguindanao, where he was detained after his arrest.

Regional Trial Court Branch 221 Judge Jocelyn Solis-Reyes ordered the commitment of Mokamad to the Quezon City Jail-Annex in Camp Bagong Diwa, where most of the accused in the massacre are detained.

The judge also set his arraignment for the 58 counts of murder on May 7.

Senior Superintendent Rodelio Balza Jocson of the Maguindanao Police Provincial Office (PPO) said Mokamad was arrested by the Maguindanao Provincial Public Safety Company at the boundary of Maguindanao and Lanao del Sur on April 26.

He was initially brought to the Maguindanao PPO where he was detained until his transfer to Manila. Jocson said the suspect has a P250,000 reward for his arrest.

Based on court records, Mokamad is the 109th suspect in the massacre who had been brought under the jurisdiction of the court. A total of 197 people were initially charged for the incident.

Earlier, The STAR included Mokamad in the list of four reportedly arrested suspects who have yet to be committed to Camp Bagong Diwa.

The other three – Arnel Bacar Abdullah/Iden, Nasser Guia, and Kominie Inggo – have yet to be brought to the Quezon City court.