Ex-PBA import cleared of frustrated homicide rap

By Janvic Mateo, The Philippine Star

Posted at Apr 12 2014 10:02 AM | Updated as of Apr 13 2014 06:35 AM

MANILA, Philippines - The Quezon City prosecutor’s office junked the frustrated homicide charges filed against a former Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) import, Jamelle Cornley, by his girlfriend for reportedly attacking her in October last year.

In a two-page resolution released yesterday, assistant city prosecutor Diovie Macaraig-Calderon ruled that the 25-year-old complainant failed to submit additional evidence to substantiate her allegations against the American basketball player, who previously played for PBA team Rain or Shine.

Records showed that police arrested Cornley on Oct. 23, 2013 after he allegedly beat up the complainant in her condominium unit in Barangay Kalusugan.

In her complaint, she narrated that Cornley slapped her, tried to throw her from the 15th floor of the condominium and held a kitchen knife against her neck.

Cornley – who was arrested by the police officers summoned by the complainant’s maid – was subjected to inquest proceedings for violation of Republic Act 9262, or the Anti-Violence Against Women and Children Act, and frustrated homicide charges.

In his resolution, inquest prosecutor Rodrigo del Rosario recommended the filing of the abuse charge in court, but said the frustrated homicide case needs further investigation.

Del Rosario ruled that the injuries sustained by the complainant are slight and the circumstances show absence of intent to kill.

“Indeed there was absence of intent to kill as he (Cornley) immediately released the complainant when the latter and her maid shouted for help. If there was intention to kill, the respondent could have easily pushed the knife into her neck or throat to kill her,” Macaraig-Calderon ruled.

The RA 9262 case was filed before the Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 94 under the sala of Judge Roslyn Tria. Cornley posted a P12,000 bail for his temporary release.

Cornley is also facing an alarm and scandal case before the Quezon City Metropolitan Trial Court Branch 31 for trashing the computers of a hotel in a drunken fit and punching a policeman who responded to the scene last March 27, 2013.

He allegedly created trouble after discovering that his money worth $1,500 was missing after checking in with three women.

The assault case filed over the same incident was sent to the prosecutor’s office for preliminary investigation.