MANILA -- West Zone concessionaire Maynilad Water Services, Inc. (Maynilad) on Tuesday gave some tips on how to safely store water amid the looming water service interruptions.
Water interruptions will take place during the Holy Week due to a flood control project of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).
The DPWH project will cause one to three days of interruptions between April 16, Holy Wednesday, and April 19, Black Saturday.
Service interruptions will affect parts of Imus, Kawit, Makati, Malabon, Manila, Navotas, Pasay and South Caloocan; and the whole of Bacoor, Cavite City, Las Pinas, Muntinlupa, Noveleta and Parañaque.
The complete list of areas affected by the Holy Week water interruptions can be viewed here.
Maynilad is reminding its customers to store enough water and make sure that water is properly stored in their households.
1. As much as possible, store water in containers that have covers. Water stored in open containers should be used within one or two days. Boil the water if intended for drinking or cooking.
2. Store water in multiple containers, large and small. Drinking water should be stored in clean and disinfected containers that can be firmly closed.
3. Light and warmth promote algae and bacteria growth, so store containers in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
4. Water stored in plastic containers should be kept away from gasoline, kerosene, pesticides or similar substances because vapors from these products can penetrate plastic.
5. Never store water in containers that were previously used to store toxic substances.
6. Freeze water for additional supply during the water service interruption. Once melted, the ice can be used for cooking or drinking.
7. To avoid water contamination, clean cisterns, drums and overhead tanks before filling them with water.
8. Empty household bleach bottles can be used to store water for cleaning.
9. Use clean food-grade containers to store water for cooking and drinking.
10. Disinfected plastic soda bottles, glass canning jars and juice bottles can be used to store water for drinking and cooking.