Man hurt as compressor explodes in Pasig plant


Posted at Apr 02 2012 11:23 AM | Updated as of Apr 02 2012 07:23 PM

MANILA, Philippines – A man was injured after a compressor exploded in a cold storage facility in Pasig on Sunday night.

Silidonio Tamayo, 27, was rushed to Pasig City General Hospital after one of the compressors of Polar Bear Storage and Freezing Corp. he was operating exploded.

Tamayo sustained burn injuries on his hands and feet. He is now in stable condition, but will have to be transferred to the Medical City for further tests. His employers said they will shoulder his medical expenses.

Authorities launched an investigation into the incident, which threatened the health of residents near the facility in Barangay Manggahan after a suspected ammonia from the exploded compressor leaked.

It took at least an hour for fire authorities to declare an all-clear inside the factory. They had to wear protective gear due to the presence of harmful chemicals.

City officials had ordered the temporary closure of the facility while investigation is ongoing. – report from Raffy Santos, ABS-CBN News