MANILA - The Commission on Elections (Comelec) and the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) on Friday continued their Operation Baklas in Quezon City, removing candidates' illegal posters and campaign materials for the May 9 polls.
The Comelec and MMDA, along with the Philippine National Police (PNP), started their operation around the Quezon City Memorial Circle and along Commonwealth Avenue, where about 10 illegal posters were removed.
Comelec-National Capital Region director Temie Lambino said the decrease in the number of dismantled campaign materials was due to the people's awareness of Operation Baklas.
Based on regulations issued by the poll body, posters, streamers and tarpaulins of candidates should not be posted in schools, bridges, terminals, waiting sheds, public utility vehicles, trees and electric posts.
"Pwede lamang ilagay ang mga poster una, sa mga common poster areas, at pangalawa, sa private places na may pahintulot ng may-ari ng bahay o establishment. Basta naaayon sa sukat na 2 feet by 3 feet," Lambino said.
He added that campaign materials should be recyclable. Otherwise, these will be considered illegal.
(READ: How illegal campaign materials are made useful)
Some of the illegal posters and campaign materials removed during the operation were those of local aspirants, party-list groups and vice presidential candidates.
The dismantled campaign materials were brought to the MMDA's impounding site in Pasig City.
Asked if having illegal posters could be a ground for disqualification, Lambino said, "Pag-na-notify na namin sila at hindi nila inalis three days after receipt of notice, pwede [silang] kasuhan ng election violation. Aside from disqualification, [may] imprisonment of one to six years. No probation 'yan."
Lambino called on the public to help in the implementation of the law by informing the poll body and the MMDA about illegal posters and campaign materials seen in their areas.
Meanwhile, Quezon City Police district director Chief Supt. Edgardo Tinio reported that they have so far arrested 92 individuals and confiscated 48 firearms, two gun replicas and 39 bladed weapons since the start of the election gun ban on January 10.