Suspect in Bilibid stabbing surrenders


Posted at Mar 18 2014 02:43 PM | Updated as of Mar 18 2014 10:43 PM

MANILA - The suspect in the stabbing and killing of an inmate inside the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) on Monday has surrendered, the NBP said.

NBP Supt. Fajardo Lansangan said Nelson Enrico surrendered on Monday evening accompanied by members of the Batang City Jail.

Enrico stabbed dead his fellow inmate, George Almo, while the victim was on his way to the chapel inside the Maximum Security Compound.

Almo, who had been convicted for murder, was a member of the Sputnik Gang.

Authorities are eyeing revenge as the motive behind the incident since about 30 minutes before the stabbing of Almo, a member of the Batang City Jail identified as Nolfi Ladiao was stabbed by a Sputnik Gang member identified as Enrico De Asis.

Ladiao was playing basketball when he was stabbed. He is now in stable condition at the NBP Hospital.

Lansangan added that De Asis also figured in an altercation with another member of the Batang City Jail, a certain Stephen Benitez alias Joko, on Sunday afternoon.

The NBP said Enrico, De Asis and Benitez have been transferred to a disciplinary cell following the incidents.

Officials of the NBP said they have also talked to the members of the two gangs who agreed that they will prevent any similar incident in the future.

Justice Secretary Leila de Lima has ordered an investigation into the stabbing incidents. -- Report from Dennis Datu, dzMM