MANILA -- Around 30 families lost their homes after fire razed a residential area in Barangay Roxas, Quezon City on Saturday morning.
The fire started from the house of Joseph Reyes, who suspects the blaze was caused by an unattended candle.
According to Reyes, his 80-year-old mother was left alone in the house when fire broke out. He believes their pet cat toppled the candle, causing the fire.
He said they have been without power for two years now due to financial problems.
Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) - Quezon City chief Jesus Fernandez said the blaze spread to around 15 houses along Magnolia Street.
The cost of damage caused by the incident was estimated at P1.5 million.
The fire happened as the BFP launched the Fire Prevention Month on Saturday. -- Report from Johnson Manabat, dzMM