Man, sentenced to life, chokes prosecutor
MANILA – A man who was sentenced to life choked a state prosecutor in Quezon City after his verdict was handed down Thursday.
Onofre Surat Jr., who was convicted of kidnapping for ransom with homicide, choked Senior Deputy State Prosecutor Richard Anthony Fadullon after his sentence was read at a Quezon City trial court.
Fadullon said Surat still managed to choke him because the latter's handcuffs were worn in front of his body.
The prosecutor was given treatment, and Surat is now back in police custody.
A Philippine Star report said Surat had been tagged as the mastermind in the 2001 kidnap-slay of Mark Harris Bacalla, son of the late Quezon City Regional Trial Court Judge Marciano Bacalla. – report from Johnson Manabat, dzMM