MANILA, Philippines – The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) has announced that several roads and portions of EDSA will be closed beginning Saturday night until Monday, February 25, for the 27th anniversary of the People Power Revolution.
The MMDA said that as early as 9 p.m. Saturday, White Plains Drive from Temple Drive to EDSA (westbound) will be closed to motorists to allow organizers to set up the stage in the area.
Westbound motorists will be allowed to counter-flow at the eastbound lanes.
Motorists are advised to take alternate routes as portions of EDSA will be closed beginning Sunday.
The MMDA said the following traffic schemes will be in effect:
• Both directions of White Plains Drive will be closed at 2 a.m. for the “Run for Juan”
• EDSA northbound bus lanes and third lane from Julia Vargas to Guadix Road and all three lanes of the EDSA Ortigas flyover (northbound) will be partially closed by 5 a.m. The flyover will remain open for motorists turning left to Ortigas Greenhills. The EDSA northbound service road, from Guadix to EDSA Shrine will also remain open.
• Full closure of EDSA northbound from Ortigas Avenue to Santolan will also be in effect starting 5 a.m. Motorists may turn right to Julia Vargas to destination or pass through EDSA flyover then left to Ortigas Greenhills to destination.
• The entire stretch of EDSA will be opened by 7 a.m. White Plains Drive, however, will be opened at 8 a.m.
• Two lanes of EDSA northbound from the People Power Monument to Gate 3 of Camp Aguinaldo will be closed at 9 p.m. for the rehearsals.
On Monday, February 25, MMDA said the following roads will be closed for the anniversary rites.
• 12:01 a.m. – Lanes 3-5 of EDSA will be partially closed (inner lanes from Corinthians to Aguinaldo Gate 3). Platform construction will be undertaken by DPWH. One lane of both directions of White Plains Drive will be passable.
• 1 a.m. – Total closure of White Plains from Temple Drive to EDSA
• 2 a.m. – Total closure of White Plains from EDSA to Temple Drive
• 5 a.m. – Total closure of EDSA northbound from Ortigas flyover approach to Santolan. Likewise, EDSA northbound service road from Guadix Drive to EDSA Shrine will be totally closed.
• 11 a.m. – entire stretch of EDSA will be opened to traffic.
According to MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino, the road closures are necessary “to ensure the safe and orderly celebration of the People Power anniversary.”
He also clarified that the number coding scheme will be enforced on Monday.