ABS-CBN News

Groups to force 50-centavo jeepney fare hike

Posted at | Updated as of 02/22/14 12:50 AM

LTFRB chair threatens sanctions vs jeepney groups

MANILA - Transport groups ACTO (Alliance of Concerned Transport Organizations) and ALTODAP (Alliance of Transport Operators and Drivers Association of the Philippines) will implement a provisional 50 centavo jeepney fare increase on March 8, with or without government approval.

ACTO President Efren de Luna said operators are simply taking back a voluntary rollback implemented in 2008.

Fellow transport leader Boy Vargas of ALTODAP said he supports the plan.

The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) continued hearing today the P2 fare hike petition previously filed by transport groups due to fuel price increases.

This time, however, transport groups are presenting additional reasons for the hike.

1-UTAK chairman Atty. Vigor Mendoza said major infrastructure and road projects in Metro Manila will greatly affect the transport sector. They also expressed deep concern over the proposed 4-day school week which shall cause a P50-100 loss of income to jeepney drivers.

LTFRB Chairman Winston Ginez warned that they will sanction those who will adjust fares without approval.

Ginez said the issue on traffic due to road projects and the impact of the 4-day school week have yet to be seen.

He also assured transport groups that the rerouting map currently being designed by the government will not affect routes of public utility vehicles since it will focus on the rerouting of private cars.

The LTFRB still needs to conduct at least 3 more hearings before they can issue a final decision on the jeepney fare hike petition.

The National Council for Commuters Safety and Protection (NCCSP) contradicted the claim of ACTO and ALTODAP that the 50-centavo rollback in 2008 was voluntary.

NCCSP President Elvira Medina said the rollback in 2008 was due to a petition that their group filed, and they will do everything to stop the fare hike on March 8.