MANILA - Model Deniece Cornejo got free use of a Forbeswood Heights condo from a Malaysian man she met at a club.
In his sworn statement submitted to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), Gregory Binunus said he met Cornejo during a party in Malate, December last year.
After their meeting, he said Cornejo started sending him text messages, looking for a place to stay.
Binunus said he offered the condominium unit he was renting at Forbeswood Heights for 2 months -- for free -- starting January 15.
He said he only allowed Cornejo to use the condo for two months since his sibling will be coming back from Malaysia by then and will be using the unit.
Binunus said he did not ask rent payment from Cornejo, noting that subleasing is not allowed at Forbeswood Heights.
He said he was unaware of the January 22 mauling of actor and TV host Vong Navarro and the alleged rape of Cornejo until he was told by the condo's owner, Soledad Ramos.
He said Cornejo told him an alleged robbery that took place inside the condo unit on January 23.
Binunus said he reported the alleged robbery incident to Ramos, who in turn informed him of the mauling incident.
Meanwhile, Ramos, in her affidavit submitted to the NBI on Wednesday, said she does not personally know Cornejo.
Ramos also noted that the legitimate tenant of the unit is Binunus.
CRIME SCENE COMPROMISED - DENIECE'S LAWYER
NBI agents have inspected the unit where Navarro was beaten up by the group of businessman Cedric Lee after the actor allegedly tried to rape Cornejo.
There were no signs of a commotion but the lawyer of Lee and Cornejo said the NBI shouldn't be surprised because any damaged items inside the condo have been removed.
Attorney Howard Calleja also claimed that the crime scene was compromised.
"When she went back, nanakawan pala ang area," he said.
Navarro's lawyer, however, asked why the condo was cleaned up.
"So inamin nila na nilinis nila yung ebidensiya? So sila yung nag-pollute sa crime scene. Ganun ba ang kilos ng isang na-rape?" said Atty. Alma Mallonga.
Calleja declined to comment on the criticisms hurled against his clients.
He only asked that Lee and Cornejo be spared from personal attacks.
"Huwag lang sana bastusan," he said.
Navarro's health, meanwhile, continues to improve.
His lawyers also said the TV host is ready to face the rape complaint filed against him by Cornejo.
"Handa kami, kung pwede nga bukas na," Mallonga said. -- Reports from Zhander Cayabyab, dzMM; Niko Baua, Adrian Ayalin, and Marie Lozano; ABS-CBN News; ANC